Tuesday 26 March 2013

Spring break

This spring break I am going on a training camp to Kehei, Maui, HI! This is a training camp for swimming. We are gone for around 2 weeks practicing twice a day. 6:00 to 8:00am swimming and 8:00 to 9:00am dry-land and back in the water from 6:00 to 8:00pm. I thought coming to Maui for this camp was a terrific learning and training opportunity, to enhance my swimming abilities. I am definitely looking forward to experiencing the topical island culture and hot weather! I know when I get there I will want to get back home though.
I chose this photo because it is the view from my room we are staying at. The picture is of palm trees and an ocean. Hawaii is surrounded by the ocean and has many trees.
On this trip we went whale watching and we got what the locals called 'mugged' by several humpback whales and their baby calf. They were so close to our boat that we had to put the engines in neutral and could not move. I could literally almost touch them!
On our break between practices we went to the local and extravagant beaches of Maui. All the beaches were different, some had stores you could buy things in and one beach even had cliffs we could jump off of. Someday the waves were so big that they flipped us over and smashed us onto shore, filling our bathing suits with sand!
The main reason to come was to train. We were tortured by our two coaches day after day after day after day after day, until we couldn't feel our muscles any more. Many people threw up and some even cried! Some nights we were so tired after practice we didn't even unpack our equipment bags. Although the training camp was hard it was an amazing experience and helped me grow at an athlete! I wouldn't trade it for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment